It’s not always easy to make a great cake, especially when under pressure to make a good impression. But with a good recipe and a little bit of practice, everything is possible. And we have an excellent recipe for a drunken rum cake that will leave anyone speechless. Even the people that don’t have a sweet tooth.
You can make and eat this dessert all year round, but it’s also perfect for holidays due to the delicious aromas of seasonal spices, rum, and pecans. And when you think that it can’t get any better, you remember that this is, in fact, a caramel rum cake. And did we mention cream cheese frosting? Oh yes, it goes perfectly with the rest of the ingredients forming the ultimate delicious decadence. You’ll notice that this is a layered rum cake and not the classic one, which makes it so unique.
You shouldn’t be afraid of making a rum cake from scratch, because it isn’t that complicated. Liquor cake recipes from scratch are easy. Even if you have had poor experiences before, you won’t do anything wrong with a good recipe. A recipe that’s written good is half job done. You just need to focus on executing it as it is written, and as a reward, you get to enjoy the best drunken rum cake. Best of all, you can share it with your friends and family. And it’s a special feeling when you see people delighted with something you’ve made.
Is Drunken Rum Cake Safe to Eat if It Has Alcohol in It?
Many will avoid making cakes containing alcohol, especially if kids are supposed to eat them. But you don’t need to do that. Cakes with alcohol will not make anyone drunk, not even a child. The amount of alcohol you put in this cake isn’t much, and like you probably heard, it will disappear during the baking. The only thing you will get out of rum is its tasty aroma and specific smell.
And you couldn’t get drunk while eating a dish or a dessert containing alcohol even if you wanted to.
If you don’t consume alcohol for any other reason or don’t want to consume it, you shouldn’t skip this recipe. You can easily substitute real rum for alcohol-free rum extract.
Tricks That Will Make You Bake Like a Professional
After reading these few tips and tricks we prepared for you, you’ll be ready to bake like a professional in no time. These tips can also help those who never baked a cake. We will tell you again that baking isn’t tricky; you just need to follow the instructions carefully.
- Follow the recipe; it’s simple as that. And we know what you are thinking right now, that you always follow it. But let’s be honest, and remember the last time you baked something following a recipe. Did you substitute the flour with a different kind or omit something from the recipe because no one would notice? Even if it doesn’t seem like it, baking is a precise science, and because of it, you need to follow the recipe.
- You should prepare all of the ingredients earlier and buy them in advance. Another obvious tip, but we mention this for a reason. It’s necessary to be prepared in advance and know exactly which ingredients you need so that you don’t put yourself in the situation that you started making the cake and realize that something is missing.
- If you are not used to baking, it will help you read the recipe before you embark on your baking journey.
- Measure every ingredient, even the ones you’ll use a tiny bit. It would be best to put every ingredient in a separate container and lay them on your working surface. It’s the perfect way to be super organized and avoid any mistakes while baking. It would be best to measure everything with a scale to ensure precision.
- Always mix all of the dry ingredients and wet ones separately, and later you can combine them. It’s good to know that sugar is considered to be a wet ingredient. But in this recipe, you’ll first need to mix the eggs and sugar and add the other ingredients to that mixture later on.
- Prepare the caramel for the caramel rum cake in advance.
How to Make Rum Cake From Scratch
We are beyond thrilled to share this recipe because we already know that you’ll love it. The aromas are perfectly balanced, and this caramel rum cake will satisfy your sweet tooth quickly with a decadent flavor. Liquor cake recipes from scratch don’t take a lot of time and offer you a lot.
Cream Cheese Icing for Layered Rum Cake
- 2 cups of cream cheese
- ¼ cup of room temperature butter
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of rum
Combine all of the necessary ingredients in a mixing bowl. You can do it with a whisk, a hand mixer, or a stand mixer. Set aside the icing until you are ready to assemble the cake.
Rum Cake from Scratch
- 1 cup of room temperature butter
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup of light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups of self-rising flour
- 2 ¼ cups of almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup of milk
- ¼ cups of dark rum
- Grease 2 x 8-inch round cake pans, and pre-heat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Cream the sugars with butter and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl using a mixer. Mix the eggs in gently, adding them one by one.
- Mix the self-rising flour, almond flour, and cinnamon in another mixing bowl.
- In a measuring cup, mix rum and milk.
- Start adding the flours, little by little, to the sugar, butter, and egg mixture. Also, start adding the liquid mixture.
- Divide the cake batter into two exact parts, and place it in greased cake pans.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes, or 5 minutes more or less, depending on your oven. You can know for sure it is done when you poke it and a clean skewer comes out.
- Please leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, you can take the cake out of the pans.
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp of room temperature salted butter
- ½ cups of room temperature heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat the granulated sugar in a saucepan on medium heat, constantly stirring it.
- Once the sugar is melted, stir in the butter until everything is perfectly combined.
- Put the heat on low and cook everything for a minute without stirring it.
- Stir in the heavy cream, and after it’s been incorporated, let everything boil for a minute.
- Remove the caramel from the heat before adding the salt.
- Before using it, let it cool down.
The Assembly of the Layered Rum Cake
- Cream cheese icing
- Baked drunken rum cake
- Caramel sauce
- 1 cup of chopped toasted pecans
- Split the two cakes in half, making four layers of cake.
- Place the first layer on a cake stand and add cream cheese icing on it before putting the next layer.
- When you build the whole cake, top it off with the rest of the cream cheese icing.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce all over it, and top everything with chopped pecans.
- Serve to your loved ones.
Now you know how to prepare it by yourself. But if you by any chance don’t want to spend a lot of time making a cake, you can always visit us at Stubborn Seed and enjoy our decadent desserts. Make a reservation today, and you won’t be disappointed.